Monday, February 13, 2006

Mosquito Nets – Not Just for Expedia Commercials

The pictures really make this entry, but you have to look at the first post on the page to see them, unfortunately. I have a hilarious video if I can figure out how to upload it.


February 1st, 2006

Arrival in Phi Phi (sounds like Pee Pee)

Oh…. It’s been an interesting day. I’ll start by saying that I take pride in being the kind of girl who can handle any situation. Sometimes I have to really work at it. With that, I begin:

Our hotel host met us at the 7-11 on Phi Phi. The Tsunami severely damaged Phi Phi, but most places completely rebuilt in the 13 months since. Not 7-11. That’s wouldn’t be worth mentioning except for the fact that it is the very first thing you see when you get off of the Ferry. After about 10 minutes, we figured out that even though we confirmed our reservation a couple of days before, the resort was full. They arranged for us to stay at a similar place just a 5 minute walk along the beach. Ok.

We took our long boat to the calmer side of the island and as we jumped out of the boat (still in knee deep water which was kind of fun since I was wearing a skirt), our host told us that we could in fact walk to the other resort – at low tide. Whatever. We don’t want to go to their silly resort anyway. And the adventure begins….

The Great - The view from my sweet little bungalow by the ocean

The Good – My hammock that swings along peacefully on my porch with the view.

The bad – The floor might have been more comfortable than my first bed, but the second bed was livable.

The ugly – I almost cried at the thought of spending one night – let alone FOUR – in any proximity to the bathroom that accompanied the backside of my bungalow. I would call it an outhouse, but I think an outhouse must have four walls to be considered out. I love camping, but quite honestly, I wasn’t expecting a camping trip in the middle of Thailand. I certainly wasn’t expecting a freaking mosquito net above my bed.

The ugliest of the ugly – A spider the size of my palm living in my bathroom.

So, while Kevin blissfully reveled in our paradise on the far side of Phi-Phi, I contemplated my escape. I think the pictures say it all. In the first one, I am thinking how in the hell am I going to get back to the main area and how can I do it without being a complete baby. In the second one, Meg and I just had a conversation about how I wasn’t sure if I could do it, but that I would at least stay for 24 hours. Kevin wasn’t privy to the conversation, so he thought we should cheers to our new home. He knew I was traumatized, but I didn’t want to spoil his fun, so I tried to hold it in.

No comments: