Wednesday, April 05, 2006

F-ing Ridiculous Classes!

April 6, 2006

I apologize in advance, but this is going to be another total rant on my classes. This one is on Decision Making with Computer, which in no way involves the use of a computer. In fact, that would be helpful and would assist me in my future career. Instead, I am staring at a board with something called the f-ing Simplex Method. It’s the most complex freaking process I’ve ever seen and since the professor thinks it’s simple, he’s talking to the rest of us like complete idiots. The functions don’t even relate to real-life situations, so I can’t imagine how I am supposed to use any of this in the future. I HATE it.

For those who know excel pretty well, we are learning how to run the algorithm that Excel runs in the Solver program. We are learning to do this on PAPER using the stupid Simplex method. It involves about 100 iterations of 8th grade algebra and a bunch of steps that make no sense, but you just do it. This is a complete waste of two things. First, my tuition dollars are entirely wasted on this as I don’t understand it now and I certainly won’t retain whatever I begin to understand. Second, even attempting to understand such calculations is a complete waste of time since I’m pretty damn sure that every computer in the world that can run excel is not going to shut down simultaneously. If that happens, I’ll have bigger issues to worry about that the f-ing Simplex method. If you read on the news about a silly American tossing her entire computer at a professor in Hong Kong from four rows away, then you know that I finally couldn’t take it anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

somebody needs a timeout! :-)