Monday, April 24, 2006

Big in Japan is not just a song

April 12 – 13th, 2006

Japan is cool. Hardly anyone speaks English and the road signs, if they exist, aren’t in English, but Japan is definitely unique. Let me back up, though, and tell you that I started my journey to Tokyo by packing at 2:30 AM. My initial plans of grabbing dinner and heading back just didn’t pan out. My clothing selection was, shall we say, interesting. However, at 5:15 AM, I un-joyfully jumped up and headed to the airport. Our first night in Tokyo moved pretty slowly. We were all exhausted, so after ordering dinner from a vending machine, walking around the Ginza shopping district, and paying $10 for a single beer, we called it a night. You’re probably wondering why one would order dinner from a vending machine with all of the restaurant options in Tokyo. I wondered the same thing. Japan (and Norweigan Texas (hereafter NT) is absolutely fascinated with vending machines. They are on every corner of the city and the fast food type restaurants even have you order through a vending machine and hand your ticket to a waitress. Imagine how excited NT was when he realized he could order beer from a vending machine.

Our second day picked up a bit, but let me tell you how difficult it can be to move with a crowd of 6 people. Exhausting. We started out at the famous Tsukji Fish Market, where we enjoyed a breakfast of the freshest sushi possible. The area is basically chaos and I think they aim to run over whiteys like me with their forklifts. Don’t worry, I’m quick on my feet when necessary. We then walked around a park and stopped for a traditional tea ceremony. I prefer Chinese tea and will never eat the sweet whatever that they serve with Japanese tea. It’s just gross. Beans are not supposed to be sweet, people! I don’t care what you put around it, I do not want beans for dessert. Ever.

We walked around a temple, which IT named the biggest red light district ever and then eenjoyed a lunch of traditional Shabu Shabu – excellent. We then ventured over to a park where we rode kiddie rides for a while. I really am regressing. My first proper meal in Japan was at an Italian restaurant. You can imagine I wasn’t very excited about this and I decided that I would eat alone before I ate another non-Japanese meal against my will. The night picked up though when we finally found Karoke Kan – the Karoke club from Lost in Translation. Karoke was fun. I still can’t sing. The boys then headed out for a night on the town. The short version of that is that Indian Texas (hereafter IT) thinks that his kiss convinced the girl he was flirting with that she would prefer to hit on her female friend.

No comments: