Saturday, April 08, 2006

Anyone heard of an HONOR CODE?

April 8, 2006

Let me tell you what I heart. I heart honesty. I heart morals. I heart contributors.

Let me tell you what I do NOT heart. I do NOT heart cheaters. I do NOT heart plagerizers. I do NOT heart laziness. Finally, I do NOT heart complete stupidity.

Guys, I am at an absolute breaking point with one of my teams. I would love to call one of you to throw a tantrum over this, but it’s almost 11:00 your time, so I don’t think you would appreciate it. For that matter, it’s Friday night your time so you’re probably not even home.

I know that my school in Hong Kong is not the equivalent to my home school. Honestly, I didn’t come here for the kind of education I would get in a class. I can deal with that. I reached my breaking point today when I realized that the paper we just emailed to the professor included a large section that was directly plagiarized from a press release. I realized this because the writing differed dramatically from the rest of that person’s section. For giggles, I copied and pasted it into yahoo, which took me straight to the press release. I am NOT kidding. So, I’m not sure if I did the right thing, but I emailed the professor and asked him to wait for a new version from me because part of the paper was plagiarized. Part = 1 full page. I feel like a total goody-goody, but people get kicked out of school for such things! They may not have an honor code here, but give me a break! I am three classes away from graduating and I’m not risking it with something like this. I rewrote the paper and sent it. I hope that suffices. I’m learning some hard lessons here.

No comments: