Monday, February 13, 2006

I Live in a Terrorism Target



February 5th, 2006

I’m glad my parents didn’t know where I stayed the last night in Phuket. They were already worried about me as it was. If they knew I was staying at the Best Western Bangtao with full-fledged security guards, they may have worried even more. I wanted a picture with the security guard, but I thought they might lock up farang (tourists) like myself for suggesting such a thing.

I like to think of our Thailand hotels as being shaped like a U. We began the trip in excellent accommodations in Bangkok. Then, we stepped down slightly to a shared room in Phuket. Then, the bottom fell out of the accommodations and we reached the bottom of the U. As I adjusted and stopped being such a baby, the Rantee Beach accommodations rose slightly higher. The final hotel in Phi Phi was quite nice and the BW topped off the trip at the height of the U. The BW Bangtao is the nicest BW on the planet. Three pools, lovely beach, great rooms with great balconies…. I like it!

If anyone is keeping count, I am now at my fourth massage in 10 days. Two Thai, One oil, and One foot reflexology style. You’re probably not keeping count, though. Today’s cost for mani, pedi, and hour long massage – 12 USD

We closed out our Thailand trip with an incredible meal on the beach. I think we counted 5 plates each (including salads). We are definitely gluttonous. But, since none of us knows when we will eat Thai food in Thailand again, we thought we’d better enjoy all of it.

My favorite Thai dishes (which all get 4’s even though I will have to eat them in Hong Kong) – Tom Yum soup, Pomella Salad, whole fish with chili sauce, Papaya salad with coconut rice, anything with Lemongrass, curry – red, green, and masaman
Things I miss about HK – My GL. I hope I still have one! I’m not sure how I expected to feel after not seeing my GL for 11 days, but I miss him.

No comments: